Monday, August 22, 2011

The technology of self-help

I found a mobile app that has changed my life. In just three weeks. Noom Weight Loss has revolutionised the way I look at food, weight loss and exercise.

I downloaded the app (for free) from the Android market at the beginning of the month. In the past three weeks, I’ve lost 2kgs – not to mention just about ALL my cravings for junkfood and other high-calorie treats.

The self-help junkie in me did a virtual somersault! I’d finally found the secret to winning this life-long battle. And this, my friends, is exactly what technology is SUPPOSED to do. Technology is the epitome of self-help. It’s meant to empower, set-free and inspire.

Undoubtedly, the development of this little miracle app is informed by a whole lot of research, expert opinion and the collective results of multiple psychological studies – not to mention hours of slog by numerous tech-type guys to put it all together. That’s cool and everything, but I care only that it works.

And it does work. You know why? Because the Android market is a cut-throat place: Users have the power of the rating. And they're not afraid to use it. One ‘force-close’ when someone’s having a bad day; or a badly timed update-induced performance bug and you’re toast! Your cushy 5-star corner office can become the dingy 3-star cubicle in the blink of an eye, or - more aptly - in the tap of a touchscreen. You give your product away for free and people will still not hesitate to crush you if you don’t meet the grade. It’s so beautifully democratic.

I have no time for the latest or most cutting-edge anything unless it’s going to make my life easier or better. For real.

That’s why when I have to use a certain South-African-financial-management-software-system-that-shall remain-nameless at about this time of every month I want to hurl. I can’t understand how they can even be anything near a leading software provider, or provider of anything at all for that matter, anywhere in the world.

I can’t wait until the day *everything* happens in the cloud. Then they’ll see. Then we’ll show them.

No comments:

Post a Comment